Thursday, August 6, 2009

Top 10 Things I've Learned Walking For Exercise Every Day Around Downtown Albany For About 2 Weeks

10. I am surprised to learn I usually prefer to not listen to music while walking. if the rhythm of the music is too different from the rhythm of my breathing, it screws me up.

9. Regardless of the rhythmic issues, when walking in downtown Albany, it's a good idea to have something stuck in your ear so you can at least pretend to not hear all the people who are going to ask you for the free money you don't have.

8. It doesn't matter how appropriate it is for me to carry an umbrella during my walks. It doesn't matter if it looks like it's going to rain, feels like it's going to rain, smells like it's going to rain, all the appropriate "we know what the sky's doing" authorities have said it's going to rain, and it's already been an extra rainy summer. Doesn't matter. When I hold an umbrella, I feel like I should be plotting against Batman.



I...I'm not like other guys.

7. When I was a smoker and I walked down the street, it seemed like every person I passed on the sidewalk was a self-righteous non-smoker. Now that I don't smoke and am trying to exercise, it seems like every person I pass on the sidewalk is smoking a cigarette. I try to see it as penance.

6. Downtown Albany really smells like shit. Literally, it smells like a fucking litter box. Except when a bus pulls up next to me - then the whole world smells and tastes like what happens when Autobots eat too much chili.

5. The overall skankiness of female apparel for NY state workers seems to increase with age.

4. Being Spider-Man in Albany would suck. He could fight crime for two blocks, then he'd just have to stroll.

3. Gnawing pain in your legs, ankles, feet, and back make you a much more patient pedestrian at intersections.

2. Exercising every day makes me feel better. And yes, this IS new for me you condescending pricks. I didn't need to exercise before. I functioned on nicotine, sarcasm, gamma radiation and the simple fact that I wanted to have sex with 3/4 of the women I saw. But now. You know. I quit smoking.

1. I'm not done yet.

3 comments:

C. Margery Kempe said...

I never bring my iPod when walking, although I always seem to have a lot of music playing in my head (my natural state). I like to hear that car zooming up from behind me, too. Of course my morning walk takes me to one of the little oases in the city, Buckingham Lake.

Unknown said...

I can't walk without my iPod. It's one of my favorite times to listen to music. Then again, I like to be moving in some capacity while listening to music so they go hand in hand per say.

Maryann said...

I just love that you are moving and enjoying it. I have really noticed a shift in your overall attitude. Keep it up sweetie!