Thursday, August 13, 2009

Top 10 Things I Appreciate

Taking the lead from my bay-bay, who started a blog yesterday...

10. The fact that no one's given me shit yet for not updating the blog for three days (not counting Saturday and Sunday - I figured by now you guys had gotten the idea that I wasn't going to update on weekends regardless).

9. My home. It's relatively safe, my landlords don't make me pay extra to throw away big stuff, there's an exercise room, a pool, and central air/heat. Oh, and my girlfriend is there too.

8. Comic books, superheroes, and various fantastical, fictional geek brainfood.

7. Diet Pepsi. Apparently, there are some bad things about it. Don't care. I'm dieting, I'm exercising, I quit smoking. I will allow myself a few Diet Pepsis/day, or I WILL kill you all. Kay? Kay.

6. My talent for writing. I'm not claiming I'm Updike, but it's something I can do well. And it gives me opportunities to express myself. And good grades. And helped me get laid a few...oh who am I kidding.

5. The fact that my weight, which has dogged me the better part of my life and which has been - at least in part - the source of many of my greatest woes is something that I can change, as difficult as that is to accomplish. I know there are people with physical difficulties that are beyond their control. Beyond, you know, becoming cyborgs.

4. My friends. Whatever. You're all cool and shit. You make my life blah blah blah. You get it. Whatever.

3. My family. Obviously, without them, I wouldn't exist. And my last name isn't "Fuchs" or "Jablome" or anything like that. And my mother and father have, with all their flaws, offered more opportunities for humor over the years than I can count.

2. My nephews. They're probably the closest thing I'll ever have to my own children. They fill me with so much love and joy that I honestly don't know how parents can even stand it - how they can stop themselves from just fainting every few minutes because of how wonderful their little shits are. Probably drugs. Yeah. Yeah. Now I'm thinking of my brother. Yeah. Definitely drugs.

1. My honey, my baby, my sweetness. She warms my heart. She inspires me. She makes me remember what it is to love and hope. And without her, my balls would hurt a lot more.

4 comments:

Purplemooncat said...

Oh sweetie, you had me until your very last sentence.

I don't care if I sound preachy or new agey, but I think if you do this for yourself every day (and not necessarily for this particular list) things will open up for you in the most spectacular way!

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hrmmm... my vanity aside, I think this needs more balance. You're supposed to HATE yourself! There're so many reasons to! Don't you remember what people are always telling us about how we should be ashamed?! I mean... uhhh... I've got nothing XD

Thanks sweetheart <3

The Wanton Gardener said...

Yeah, I think this needs more balance too...that is, a lot more posts like this, Mick! What, we had about 1000 years of Mick the self (& world) loathing curmudgeon and now this!? I vote for more of this...at least every so often??? Love you Mick!

C. Margery Kempe said...

I like that my word verification is "maccho": HA HA HA!! What irony.

Seriously, it is good to be grateful once in a while. But welcome back the bile: if it's here, it's less likely to be carried around, eh? Lighten the load.