Thursday, September 4, 2008

Top 10 Things I Have Against Glen n Danzig

A lovely lady has read a bit of my blog and asked me exactly what I have against Glen Danzig.

And so...

10. Another lovely lady with whom I work revealed to me yesterday that I have been misspelling Glen Danzig's name. Apparently, his first name ends with two n's. So fuck Glen Danzig for making me look stupid just so he could slap an extra consonant on his name. You are Glen Danzig on my blog, Glenn Danzig. Deal with it.

9. I have absolutely no proof to back this up, but I suspect that "Danzig" may not be his given name. If that's true, then it makes me wonder why he chose "Danzig." It may just be because he thought it sounded cool and somewhat sinister (and it does, there's no denying it). It also may be because - unless I'm forgetting the WWII history that I studied closely for a brief but intense period - the city of Danzig was the first major Polish city to fall the Nazis. Which brings up some questions, particularly considering Glen Danzig made his bones in a punk band and there's an unfortunate but undeniable relationship between punk and neo-nazism. I'd like to think that - assuming of course, that I am right that it is not his given name and that he is naming himself after the city - he chose the name as a defiant middle finger to Nazis and their ilk (as in "I am the spirit of the fallen city and I am coming back to kick your ass").

8. No one else was using his name in the way I use it, so hey, why the hell not. It's like a shot from the dark! You never saw it coming! You try to block my right and OH SHITKNUCKLE! HE'S A SOUTHPAW! I am ninja! Hear me...not.

(7 1/2. WHOA! "I am ninja! Hear me...not." That's fucking good. I'm writing that down some...oh already did. Nevermind.)

7. If you've heard his music, particularly if you've heard his stuff from his Misfits days, and especially particularly totally and absolutely as well as anally (eww) if you've heard the most controversial Misfits song ever, then you know he raped my mother today and it didn't matter much to him. That's pretty fucking low.

6. Glenn Glen Danzig.

5. In the Misfits, there was the song I referenced in #7 ("Last Caress", if you don't know it - and NO, for any of you metalheads, that isn't a Metallica original), there was a song in which he takes on the character of a shunned nerd begging his mother to let him go out and kill all the kids who shun him, and then there's the only Danzig (as in the band Danzig) song everyone knows - "Mother". Glen Danzig has some serious fucking Mommy issues.

4. I heard Sammy Hagar punched him in the face once at an awards ceremony, with no reprisals forthcoming. I'm sure the story is utter bullshit. It was told to me by the same woman who claimed she regularly hung out with Metallica and Megadeth in a New Jersey bar and that she once knocked a drunken Dave Mustaine on his ass for dissing the late Cliff Burton. But the memory of being forced to imagine the fictional fracas is enough to hurt. It's like when they ask Tinkerbell Legolas to tell them what the elves are singing about Magneto Gandalf. "For me the grief is still too near."

3. Hulk could totally kick his ass.

2. Rip Taylor.

(1 1/2. HA! Didn't see that coming, did ya?)

1. I have, in my time, loved the music of exactly three bands enough that you could reasonably argue I worshiped them to a perhaps unhealthy degree. Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, and The Misfits - the latter being originally fronted by Glen Danzig.

I am not going to make an argument that the music of The Misfits is better or worse than that of the other two bands. It would be like arguing whether gravity was cooler than relativity or something. It'd just be silly.

(gravity's way cooler)

What I can say, however, is that my love for the music of The Misfits is somehow purer than that which I have for Nirvana or Jane's Addiction.

By "pure" I mean that out of the three bands, The Misfits are the only band whose music was and is enough for me. I didn't and don't want posters. I didn't and don't want to read every article written about them. I didn't and don't care about any feuds they may have waged with other bands, what critics did and didn't like them, who influenced them or who they influenced. Fuck their t-shirts. Give me their albums.

Likely, this is at least in part because The Misfits lived and died before I ever knew who the hell they were. I had no chance - as is the embarrassing case with my love for Nirvana - to hunt down magazines and books with their pictures and put together obsessive and, to anyone who wasn't an angsty and lonely teen while Kurt still had a throat with which to scream, downright disturbing collages of Kurt, and Krist, and Dave, but mostly Kurt. It wasn't like when I read in Spin that Kurt hated Pearl Jam, and so I decided that I hated Pearl Jam. Or like when I read in the authorized biography Come As You Are that Kurt no longer hated Pearl Jam, and so I no longer hated Pearl Jam. Or like - as you may have noticed and which I honestly just noticed just now while reading back what I'd written - while I would never feel comfortable enough to refer to Glen Danzig as just Glen or even Glenn, I somehow am absolutely fine referring to Cobain as just plain old Kurt. Like he was living downstairs and we hung out and listened to Misfits albums together.

I can't tell you anything about the history of The Misfits. I can tell you their frontman was Glen Danzig and that's about it. I can't tell you the names of any other band member.

They have a song called "London Dungeon." I hadn't heard it in a while and had a strong urge to find it. I didn't find the original but I saw I had downloaded a cover of it along with a bunch of other Misfits cover songs on the tribute album Violent World. Prong covers "London Dungeon" in a pretty uninteresting way, kind of like a more robotic White Zombie, but the lyrics reminded me of what I thought the first time I heard the song. The lyrics made me think that the song didn't refer to an actual dungeon, but that somebody had dissed The Misfits. In particular, that someone had dissed The Misfits for not being more like the bands of the British punk scene. And so Danzig defiantly informed his critics that "I don't wanna be in your London Dungeon! I don't wanna be in your British Hell!"

I mention this not because I'm right. I have no idea if I'm right. I have no real basis for my theory. I have not read a single article on their music.

I mention this because "London Dungeon" is the ONLY Misfits song I have ever bothered to sit and think about, to dissect, and to analyze. That may not mean much to you, but you're reading a blog written by a man who dissects and analyzes FUCKING. EVERYTHING. I made my way through college applying literary theory to Black Lightning and Captain America comics. I am someone who will tell you that I will not read Spider-Man because I'm tired of Jesus Christ swinging around buildings and beating up muggers. I don't watch Batman Begins and think "wicked fx dude!" I watch it and think about how interesting it is that the director and writer used Alfred, Lucius Fox, Ra's Al Ghul, Jim Gordon, and even Carmine Falcone as warring father figures fighting over dominance for the absent father Bruce Wayne tortures himself over. I am a pop culture dissecting machine. I am the Borg. Resistance is silly.

But not The Misfits. I just don't do it. I don't care. I don't know all of their lyrics. I don't care about the lyrics I can't discern. I don't look them up. They sing about zombies and aliens and alien zombies and people who eat brains and complain that brains get tedious after nothing but brains. And they do it all with melodies that sound happier than Bill Clinton in a cigar shop, and subconsciously convince you that somehow the song about the guy who's controlling space zombies is actually a fucking love song. They are fucking beautiful. They are the sole pop culture beast in my life which I leave to mill about the wild as they will without probing them anally or tagging them with electronic locators. I don't dog them like an acting coach about their motivations and goals. I just love them. Unconditionally.

And what happens? They reform. Without Danzig.

The result?

They actually covered "Monster Mash".

Monster Mash.

I'm sure it isn't Danzig's fault. But like I said, I don't know the names of the rest of them, so he's all I have to blame.

(0. Dear Mr. Glenn Danzig. If by chance you read this, which I doubt, I'm just being silly. Except for the long-winded and cuss-tinged sentimentality of reason #1. That stuff's true. Oh, and the Hulk probably could beat you up. If he was real. Which he isn't. But if he was, he could. No offense. I just use your name because I think it's funny to plop a name down in my lists which has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - whether the matter at hand is why women should have sex with me, or why ninjas are better than pirates, or rice, or Batman. Or even fellatio with ice cubes. Please don't hurt me. Sincerely - Someone who isn't really named Michileen Martin and doesn't live where you might find out Michileen Martin lives.)

(-1. Hey, look at the date! Happy Birthday Me. You old fuck.)

(-2. If you want to give me a birthday present, please read yesterday's post. Ladies pay special attention to reason #2. Oh and reason #1)

(-3. I have a tendency to ramble.)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to Mick whos really not a dick! Lovely lady! Aww shucks, thanks. I hope that you get everything you want for your birthday. Come on ladies...it's Mick's birthday. You can check off the Diet Pepsi and I'll write your top 10 list of why Mick should get fellatio on his birthday. BTW, ice would be bad for a Kindle. I totally want one of those too. Ok listen to teacher. Glenn's birth name was Glenn Anzalone and he was born in Lodi, NJ on June 23, 1955. He is 53!Danzig became an avid collector of comic books (especially Golden Age comics), rare Japanese toys, occult books, horror related articles, b-movie posters, Japanese animation videos (especially Astro Boy, Black Jack, Captain Harlock and Devilman) and the skulls of deceased animals. He was an outsider in school.

Around the time he began writing music, Danzig worked in a comic book store in nearby New York.[1]

Glenn Danzig graduated from Lodi High School in 1973, aspiring to become a comic book writer and/or photographer. (Danzig would eventually start an adult-oriented comic book company, Verotik, in the 1990s.)
Danzig started in the music business at the age of 11: first as a drum roadie and then as a bass player in local garage bands. He had never taken vocal lessons, but the first time he auditioned for the role of a vocalist, his vocal prowess gained him attention in the local scene. Throughout his teenage years he sang for several local bands, such as Talus and Whodat And Boojang, most of which played half original songs and half Black Sabbath songs.

In 1977, when he was 21, Danzig started The Misfits. The band's name comes from Marilyn Monroe's last film. The Misfits combined Danzig's harmonic vocals with camp-horror imagery and lyrics, backed by punk thrashing.

In 1983, after releasing several singles, three albums, and gaining a small underground following, Danzig disbanded The Misfits due to increasing animosity among the band members and his dissatisfaction with their musical abilities.

At a show in Tuba City, Arizona, Danny Marianino (lead singer of the band North Side Kings) punched Danzig after being pushed.

Now turn around to receive your birthday spankings!

Mick Martin said...

He worked at a comic book shop?!?!

Okay, his coolness has definitely gone up.

And where's the top ten list about fellatio? It's nearly 3 pm! My birthday isn't going to last forever!

Anonymous said...

Come on ladies... if you care about Mick's health you will either perform ice-cube fellatio on him or have to have some great sex with him because of the following reasons:

10.)You will reduce Mick's risk of heart disease: For men! Having sex 3 – 4 times a week will cut your risk of heart attack or stroke in half! Women also benefit in this category though the results are not as clear in percentage.

09.)Mick is watching his weight, aren't we all ladies...
During sex, the average person maintains their heart rate above 70% of the maximum, making sex a wonderful workout. (So although quickies are fun, marathons can be great cardiovascular workouts!)Fitness and fun rolled into one!

08.) Mick wants a superhero like power and sex improves one's sense of smell: Prolactin (a hormone produced after sex) stimulates the olfactory nerve, the center for smell, increasing smell perception.
Ladies, he might just save you with his super smell powers someday, if your nice and perform the nasty now.

07.)You can improve Mick's immunity to ward off diseases.
People who have sex once or twice a week have been shown to have higher rates of immunoglobulin A, a known immune booster.

06.)Better bladder control, not that Mick has a problem but
the muscles used during sex are the same used in doing the infamous "kegel exercises".

05.)You will make Mick's prostate very happy, not to mention Mick.
To produce seminal fluid, the prostate and the seminal vesicles take minerals, zinc and calcium, concentrating them up to 600 times. However, any carcinogens in the blood would also be concentrated to this amount. Urologists support ejaculation as a measure of prostate cancer prevention by removing the concentrated carcinogens, rather than allowing them to cluster and cause damage.

04.)You cam reduce your depression by having sex with Mick. Sperm contains prostaglandin (a male sex hormone) that when absorbed in the female reproductive tract helps to regulate female hormones maintaining a balance and decreasing mood swings and depression.

03.)Feeling crampy...Mick can help you out if you would just take off your clothes and jump on top. Sex with Mick is a natural pain reliever. Endorphins released immediately upon orgasm are natural pain relievers that remain active in the body for several hours after climaxing. Intercourse also produces more estrogen in the female body which helps to reduce the discomfort of monthly PMS.

02.)You will have nicer teeth if you perform fellatio on Mick because seminal fluid contains zinc, calcium and minerals that retard tooth decay! So girls, going down isn’t just fun for you and great for him, it's an awesome way to put a great smile on both your faces!

01.)The number one reason to give Mick fellatio is becuase it's his BIRTHDAY! You would really make his day, girls, so jump on the band wagon.

Mick Martin said...

Wow...

Facts...good...

Anonymous said...

That's all you have to write about my top 10 list. Well,happy fellation Friday!

Also, you have got to stop mentioning World of Warcraft. WOW makes me angry. Hulk SMASH!

Mick Martin said...

What do you mean that's "all" I have to write about it? That was the point. I was, like, STUNNED into silence.

You cannot censor me! I will not be repressed! ATTICA! ATTICA!

Anonymous said...

Not censoring. Not repressing. Settle down big guy before we need to taze you.

Your silence today is fine since I know that you laughed so hard you practically busted something yesterday.

By the way something else I have been giving some thought. Is shitknuckle a Mick Master original?

Yesterday my word was fellatio today it's shitknuckle!

Scott said...

Happy Birthday, Mick.

On the other hand, Danzig makes everything BETTER.

Mick Martin said...

Shitknuckle is, indeed, my creation.

In fact, you owe me five bucks just for typing it.

Anonymous said...

I owe nothing!

Can you define shitknuckle? I have a pretty good idea how I would define it but since your are the originator of SHITKNUCKLE I would LOVE your defintion. I'm sure all of your other readers are quite interested as well. I wonder how many times I can say shitknuckle considering I have no money I won't pay a SHITKNUCKLE tab.

Holy shit I need a drink!

Another thing I wonder is... when will we hear what happened with the economics professor? I can't wait. Perhaps you aren't telling us because she made you sign in blood that you wouldn't blog about it.

Mick Martin said...

Shitknuckle can't be defined. You can't tag it. You can't label it. Just let it BE what it is - shitknuckle.

You now owe me $25.

Alternate forms of payment are sometimes available. But you're happily married, so just give me the damn money.

The economics professor (who I will refer to as "L" because calling her "The Economics Professor" makes her sound like a super-villain or something) had a very nice date at the Daily Grind last Saturday. It was nice. We're having dinner again tonight. Might see a movie. Not sure.

Mick Martin said...

Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes, Scott!

Anonymous said...

I hope that you and L have a nice dinner again tonight. As you know I could keep going on this issue however enough.

I will not be forced to pay $25.00 for something that refers to bad wipers with shit all over thier knuckles. Anyways I think that my kindness towards others more than pays for everything. Besides I actually gave you something for your birthday, unlike many others, plus I wrote you a top 10 list. I figure you owe me but the chocolate whatever it was yesterday was a great downpayment, Mick Master, or as I like to say Mickster. Hey it's better than Mickey Mouse.

Mick Martin said...

Okay, while I greatly appreciate the can of Diet Pepsi and the top 10 list, I have to say that I think the chocolate cake was worth enough that, if anything, YOU owe ME. Not only did I surrender a perfectly good piece of chocolate cake ON. MY. BIRTH. DAY. but I also - after handing over the delicious cake - had to listen to everyone talk about how good it was. Add the unlicensed and unauthorized use of the word "shitknuckle," and I expect your car keys by the end of the day.

Anonymous said...

I think you are totally missing the point. I unlike your friends actually gave you something as a gift for your birthday. I unselfishly thought of you.

Now in regards to that most delicious chocolate "cake" - it wasn't really a cake but I'm not sure what it was - you gave it to me and I asked when you gave me the cake if you were sure you didn't want it. You said you did not want it. So I licked up every lucious bit (eventually). So I owe you nothing.


My car will not go without me! No really, it has no power steering and no air conditioning. I practically died of heat exhaustion yesterday. You will melt into the hot vinyl seats and beg for Glenn Danzig to come save you. Did I mention it's a clown car? It's fun-size like me so you would probably have to rip out the front seat Hulk-style and drive from the back. Otherwise your lower half would have to be in the engine compartment.

I am so over the "s" word...I'm coming up with a new word.
MONKEYBAWLS

Anonymous said...

PS...you were right that Danzig is not his given name. His real name is Glenn Anzalone. All hail Wikipedia.